Tuesday, June 16, 2009

VANISHED

I had finished a two-day trip a few weeks ago, and started my commute home.  When I landed in Los Angeles, I heard the news about the Air France flight that had disappeared over the Atlantic.  I walked across the airport to my departure terminal, thinking about what the pilots went through, trying to save their ship.  I got onboard the jet taking me home, feeling melancholy.  I wanted to sit alone, but most of the seats were taken. 

 

When I find myself on a full flight and I have to sit between two people, I have found a way to make the travel easy on me.  I try to find a row that has two young ladies in it, about the age of my oldest daughter, who is twenty.  I do this because I know that they want to have nothing to do with me and will leave me alone for the entire flight.  I can sit in my seat, put in my earplugs and don my noise reduction headset and sit back.

 

On this flight I saw a small pair of legs at the end of a row and no head above the seat.  As I came up to the row, I saw two boys about six years old sitting next to each other.  The window seat was vacant.  “Excuse me gentleman, is that seat by the window taken?” I asked.  They looked up at me, looked at each other and simultaneously said, “Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!”  “Do you guys mind?” I said.  They did not mind and I started to move around them to the window.  The father of one of the boys said, “Sir, you don’t have to sit there, you can sit in my seat.”  I looked at him and his pretty wife and said, “Sir I am a commercial airline pilot, I have more in common with these boys than any adult on this aircraft.”  I heard laughter from other passengers and moved into my seat.

 

I was immediately asked if I was a pilot.  When I told them that I was, one of the boys turned to his parents and yelled, “Mom, this man is a real pilot and he is sitting right by me!”  The mother of the boy said, “Shouldn’t he be flying the airplane up front?”  I told the boys that I was going to use my Iphone and control the airplane from my seat.  These guys were smart ones, they did not buy it.

 

We pushed back and the engines were started.  I told them how high we would be, how fast we would be going, and how cold it would be.  As we started to take the runway for takeoff, I said, “This is the part where I start to get scared.”  They looked at me and one of them said, “You mean to fly?”  I looked at them and whined, “I want my mommy.” just as the plane started to accelerate.   The boy at the aisle turned to his mother laughing and yelled, “Mom, he wants his mommy!”

 

I told the boy next to me that when I counted to three, the airplane would come off the ground and start flying.  After thousands of takeoffs, you get pretty good at knowing that.  I counted, 1, 2, 3, and the nose lifted up into the air.  The boys eyes got very big and he said in a low voice, “Your really smart.” 

 

I put my headset on and flipped the switch that takes the noise out of the air like a magician.  One of the boys asked me what I was listening to.  I told him it was church music and asked them both if they wanted to listen.  They both refused and immediately started playing with their electronic games.  I smiled as I leaned back, fell asleep and did not wake until the wheels touched down.  It was a brief respite from the mind churning disaster of the Air France loss. 

 

Over these 28 years of flying, I have experienced, second hand, the tragic loss of many, most of whom I did not know.  As pilots, we can’t help but put ourselves on the flight deck and in the pilot’s seats, trying to recover these aircraft from impending disaster.  There are the safety reports stating the facts, built from expert investigation, clearly showing the causes and contributing circumstances.  Some of these reports make you wince in anguish, knowing the accident was preventable.  The hardest ones to read are the accidents that clearly show the pilots were performing in perfect form and fearlessly doing everything and anything they could to save their ship, to the point of impact. 

 

Modern airliners are designed with self-reporting system monitors.  The electric, hydraulic, pneumatic, fuel, engine, environmental and other systems send out messages in-flight when certain predetermined parameters are met.  An example would be when the internal part of an engine starts to vibrate beyond a preset limit.  The engine may run just fine and I as a pilot would not know that the limit was exceeded, or that a message was sent.  The message would be logged and analyzed by the engineers at the airline and perhaps the manufacturer as well.

 

The Air France pilots never transmitted a message that they were experiencing mechanical problems, or any problem for that matter.  I read that they informed air traffic control that they were entering an area of severe weather, something that happens every day with airliners around the world.  Something went wrong and went wrong quickly.  The aircraft transmitted over 20 messages by itself, electronically informing the company that systems were failing.  Then there was nothing, the flight simply disappeared.

 

Yeah, it really bothers me.  All we can do as aviators is to learn what lessons we can and make our already safe air transportation system, safer yet.

 

Be Safe,

 

FlyGuy.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you sure left an impression on those kids :-)

I guess the atmosphere of being a pilot in an airport at a time like that really brings home the reality of it all... as you say, you must really want to put yourself in their shoes and you probably wonder "what if that was me?"

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog FlyGuy.. you r the man! I've been reading for over a year now and I love the fact that you are passionate about what you do! I hope one day to be flying a jet - and to be as professional, dedicated and happy as yourself in my job. I'm working towards my commercial license and instrument rating right now.. got an exam next week.. it can be difficult to stay focused on the big picture sometimes.. but when i read your blogs.. it reminds me why I started out in the first place. Keep up the great work - fly safe - BUGSMASHER AUS -

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Dott said...

Terrible accident.. wonder if we will ever get an answer as to what happened.


However, I wonder: what kind of headset do you have? I would love to have something like that!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi FlyGuy. I enjoyed your latest blog about the two boys and your contemplation of the recent Air France disaster.

I remember when I was a youngster and how I loved to fly. I was born and raised in Hawaii and got my first taste of flight on a transpacific flight to San Francisco on a Western Airlines 707. I've been hooked on aviation ever since

I used to think pilots were angels empowered by God to take heavy metal and make them defy the laws of gravity. Okay, that's pretty deep, I admit, but I did have a great admiration for pilots back then... and still do. In fact, it was this passion that caused me to pursue a career in aviation. After high school, I enlisted in the Navy, got a job as an in-flight technician fixing NAV/COMM and weapons guidance systems on P-3 Orions and, while I was serving my country, I obtained my pilots certificate through a Navy flight program with the goal to become a professional pilot. To make a long story short, after I got out of the Navy and went to college, I obtained my instrument and commercial ratings, but ran out of money and time to obtain my instructors rating as by then I was also starting a family. I make a great living now as an IT professional and I still fly in my privately owned aircraft, (I have a 50/50 share in an SR22), but I still crave an airline or corporate pilot career.

Anyway, about that Air France crash... my hunch would be that the aircraft broke up in flight due to an extreme and violent encounter with a thunderstorm. I've seen what those storms can do to a military aircraft such as hail damage and lightning strikes, etc, and the huge holes and burns they would leave on our P-3s. Our birds were tough enough to withstand the worst of those encounters, but I'm not sure if it was a credit to Lockheed or just dumb luck.

Fly safely and Godspeed!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Garen said...

You are hilarious - thanks! :)

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct partner utilizes your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://cezeduho.bigheadhosting.net/eqamoj.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I begin to get real money.
It's all about how to select a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the profit with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theblogmoney.com

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home